Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Kooks: One Last Time

It fascinates me, how a song can immediately change your mood. Sometimes its not the lyrics but rather the music that captures me. The other night I was driving to my local pub to meet up with some friends and "One Last Time" by The Kooks came on and it completely altered my mood. It made me feel relaxed and (just a little bit) sad. I suppose with this song it wasn't just the lyrics, but also the music itself that affected me. It's a mellow song, but through out it's structure there are all these different textures that come and go. I desperately wanted to write what I was feeling at that moment, but sadly I couldn't. To double check my feelings about this song, I am currently looping it, and I am glad to say that these emotions are back (for the most part).

Music has always had that effect on me, and I suppose it goes for many of the people on this Earth (if not all). However, I also believe that its not just music, but literature, art, daily events, etc., that take us back and allow us to pause, if just for one second and drift away. Its a comfortable feeling (at least for me), knowing that within this hectic world I can still escape no matter where I am.

Cheers,

Ray

No comments: