Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mariachis Are The New Black

This weekend we not only celebrated Easter, but we also took part in a two day celebration of my Grandmother's birthday. On Friday (her actual birthday), my family, girlfriend and I took my grandmother out to a lovely seafood dinner, where we over did it on crab claws, fish and desert (deeeelish). The next day, was her birthday party, and let me just say, that it was "off the hook." Is it OK if I say it like that? "Off the hook?" Either way, my mother had the party catered with all these Delicious and fattening Cuban dishes. We had masita de puerco, arroz imperial, congri, platanitos maduros and plenty of other dishes. Not to mention, an abundance of adult beverages and Coca-Colas in glass bottles. But what really made the party, was the surprise attack by three Mariachis! Excuse my Miami lingo again, but "bro, those guys can jam."

The Mariachis performed a great set, playing classic Mariachi songs like "El Rey." My grandmother was completely surprised and even got a little emotional at first. However, the tears washed away when her good friend decided to jump on the mic and become the fourth member of the Mariachis. In short, the party was a great success and there were enough left overs sitting in my fridge to feed a family of 10 for the next week. As always, here are some pictures:



Birthday Candle Blowout


Grandma and the kids





The men of the hour


The fourth Mariachi

No comments: